They’ve done it again… A dark horse that will come around and turn it all on its head again!
In the pst few weeks we have seen just about every one of the big players in the camera announce a new camera (except JVC).
Sony with their A99 Full Frame DSLR, V900 Full frame camcorder (bit consumer-ish though) and their Full frame point and shoot.
Nikon with the D6000 (a budget D800)
Canon with the C100 and now the leaked photos of the 6D (again expected to be a budget friendly version of the 5D MK3)
Now we have Panasonic finally revealing their new camera;
Here are the specs (not all are completely confirmed yet):
- 16MP “Wide Dynamic Range” CMOS sensor
- New Venus 7 engine
- ISO range: 100-12,800
- 6 fps – The GH3 will have the fastest AF to date
- Video Bitrate 50Mbps (72Mbps ALL-I)
- 1080 in 60p/50p/30p/25p/24p in MP4, MOV and AVCHD
- Focus peaking and Time Code
- Electronic shutter
- Weather sealed
- EVF — 1740k OLED
- Touch LCD — 610k OLED.
- Built-in Wi-Fi, 3.5 Mic in, built-in stereo mic
- New external vertical battery grip
- Full application remote control through iOS and Android applications
- Interval shooting and slow motion. Slow Movie extension (40%, 50%, 80%) Fast 160/ 200 / 300%
- Magnesium alloy body
- Bigger, heavier and more expensive than the GH2
So why upgrade????
Well, in order to make the GH2 the fantastic camera that it is, we have to hack it. Straight out of the box its not a very impressive camera, so we up the bit rate and improve as much as we can on the short comings. The gh3 is a great camera out of the box (on paper) ALL-I codec the choice of what codec to use(AVCHD, H264 etc).
Not to mention that the sensor has changed, its a CMOS sensor now and it promises better dynamic range.
This is something to keep an eye on, the official unveiling is on monday at Photokina and should be impressive as Philip Bloom and Bruce Logan have been working on a short narrative film for its launch.
The promo video was actually leaked and has a few clips from the short. Im excited!